Doctor Jérôme Planté has graduated in 1991 from the Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire de Maison-Alfort (E.N.V.A, France) and is prizewinner of the Faculty of Medicine of Creteil. He also completed an internship in small animal surgery at the same institution (E.N.V.A) from 1991 to 1993. Following his internship, Dr Jérôme Planté pursued a residency program in small animal surgery from 1993 to 1996 at the University of Montreal (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine). He then held the position of clinical surgeon at the same institution from 1996 to 1997. He successfully passed the board certification exam of the European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS) in 1997 and he is now an active Diplomate of the ECVS.
He was vice-president of the DMV Foundation from 2000 to 2010.
Doctor Jérôme Planté performs orthopaedic surgeries (Bone fractures, Patella luxation, Cranial cruciate ligament rupture, Hip and Elbow dysplasia, arthroscopy, correction of angular deformities and more), as well as neurosurgery and soft tissue surgeries (oncologic, cardiac, pulmonary, endocrine, digestive and urinary). Since 2004, he is one of the few surgeons in Québec certified for the TPLO technique for the treatment of the cranial cruciate ligament rupture (from Slocum Enterprises).
He works in close collaboration with Doctor Jean-Jacques Kona Boun anesthesiologist at the Centre DMV to ensure an optimal supervision of the anesthesia and the postoperative comfort of his patients.
He works also in collaboration with Élise Renaut-Roy who is leading the Animal Physiotherapy service at the centre DMV and seeks to promote a rapid and optimal recovery to his patients and a return to athletic performances.
Dr Jérôme Planté pursued surgical training in arthroscopy, laparoscopy and thoracoscopy, liver lobe excision as well as in interlocking nail technique, sliding humeral osteotomy technique (SHO), total elbow prosthesis (TATE), limb sparing techniques and tibial, plateau leveling osteotomy technique (TPLO).
He became, in 1998, the founder of the first specialized internship in veterinary surgery at a private practice in Quebec (Centre DMV). Since then, he is training up to 3 interns per year at the centre DMV. He is also a founding partner (2008) of the first veterinary surgery residency program offered by a private practice in Quebec (Centre DMV) and he trained 2 surgery residents.
Dr Jérôme Planté completed research projects concerning hip dysplasia and cranial cruciate ligament techniques in dogs (TPLO). He has published numerous articles in the international veterinary literature and regularly gives lectures and workshops in veterinary surgery.
Dr Jérôme Planté practices specialized small animal surgery at the DMV Veterinary Center since septembre 1997 and is offering surgery consultation at the Centre DMV (Montréal).
List of scientific publications :De Arburn Parent R, Benamou J, Gatineau M, J Planté & all- « Cranial bone plating for the treatment of distal radius-ulna fractures in miniature and toy breed dogs: 102 cases (2008-2015) » JAVMA 2016 Cabon Q, Planté J, Gatineau M – « Digital flexor tendon contracture treated by tenectomy: different clinical presentations in three cats. » Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, July 2015 Javard R, Specchi S, Benamou J, Lapointe C, Desffontaines JB, Planté J, D’Anjou MA. Ileocecocolic volvulus in a German sheperd dog Can Vet J 2014; 55(11) : 1096-9 Sicotte V, Benamou J, Fifle L, Planté J et al: Use of surgery and mitoxantrone chemotherapy in a dog with disseminated lymphangiosarcoma, JAVMA 2012, Vol 241, No. 12, Gatineau M, Dupuis J, Planté J, Moreau M – “Retrospective study of 476 cases of Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy, rate of subsequent “pivot shift”, meniscal tear and risk factors associated with complications” Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2011; 2:333-341 Gatineau M, Planté J – “Ulnar interlocking intramedullary nail stabilization of a proximal radio-ulnar fracture in a dog” Vet Surg 2010; 39:1025-1029 Gatineau M, Dupuis J, Planté J – “Management of distal radius and ulna fractures in small- and miniature- breed dogs” Le Rapporteur, February-March 2009 [In French] Gatineau M, Dupuis J, Planté J, El Warrak AO – “Dynamic extra-articular stabilization of the canine stifle joint after cranial cruciate ligament rupture: TPLO and TTA, a review” Le Point Vétérinaire n° 290, November 2008 [In French]
- Dunié-Mérigot, J. Planté : Un cas de fracture faciale comminutive. L’Action Vétérinaire. N°1711. Mars 2005 – p6-10.
- Dunié-Mérigot. J. Planté: Luxation scapulohumérale latérale chez un chien. L’Action Vétérinaire. N°1721. 25 mai 2005. p6-9.
- Leclerc, J. Planté: Les méthodes diagnostiques de l’abdomen aigu. Le Médecin vétérinaire du Québec, Volume 31, no3, 2001, 141
- Erdmann, J. Planté: Suivi post-opératoire de 22 cas de thyroidectomie chez le chat. Le Médecin vétérinaire du Québec. Volume 29, no4, 1999, 207-208.
- Planté, J. Dupuis, G. Beauregard, N.H. Bonneau, L. Breton: Long term results of conservative treatment, excision arthroplasty of the femoral head and neck and triple pelvic osteotomy for the treatment of hip dysplasia in the immature dog: radiographic and physical results. V.C.O.T. 1997; 10:101-110
- Planté, J. Dupuis, G. Beauregard, N.H. Bonneau, L. Breton : Long term results of conservative treatment, excision arthroplasty of the femoral head and neck and triple pelvic osteotomy for the treatment of hip dysplasia in the immature dog: analysis of he ground reaction forces. V.C.O.T. 1997; 10:130-135.
- Lacroix, P. Moissonnier, J. Planté: La torsion du pédicule vasculaire de la rate. Point vétérinaire, vol.25, n 157, 73-83. 1994.