A team of highly qualified surgeons
The surgical department is under the care of
They are supported by a qualified team of graduate technicians, interns and residents. This team works full time to provide and ensure exceptional quality care to your pets.
An anesthesiologist also supervises all anesthetic procedures performed at DMV Center and therefore works closely with the Surgery Department in order to minimize risks and ensure optimal pain management before and after surgery.
The surgeons perform outpatient appointments, with or without referral by your regular vet and also work closely with the other departments of DMV Veterinary Center, such as the emergency department, internal medicine, oncology or neurology.
Our surgeons also provide a permanent on call service (24/7) for surgical emergencies requiring specific expertise.
Using equipment and advanced surgical techniques, our surgeons perform many types of surgeries:
• Orthopedic (fractures, osteo-articular pathologies, TPLO and TPO surgery, hip replacement, angular deformity correction …)
• Chest and abdominal (cardiovascular surgery, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, endocrine, urinary …)
• Neurology (herniated disc, fractures / vertebral dislocation, intracranial tumor …)
• Oncology (tumor excision and reconstruction/skin plasty).
They also have a special interest in all minimally invasive surgery techniques (including thoracoscopy, laparoscopy and arthroscopy), to ensure the comfort of their patients in the postoperative period and also to ensure optimal recovery after surgery.
DMV Center’s physiotherapy department may also participate in our operated patients’ functional recovery.
Why call upon a specialized surgeon ?
A specialized veterinary surgeon is a physician with many years of extensive specialized surgery training.
For the most part, these specialists after getting their veterinary medical degree, completed a general internship of one year, then a specialized internship in surgery of one year, before completing a 3-year surgery residency.
Some also conducted postdoctoral studies leading to a MSc and PhD.
In addition to the clinical training during their residency, they have also done medical research, participated in projects leading to scientific publications, lectured and contributed to the training of future veterinarians or veterinary graduates.
These additional years of training (5 to 6 years in addition to the five years of general veterinary medicine studies) allowed them to obtain a specialist degree in surgery (with the American College of Veterinary Surgery or the European College of Veterinary Surgery). It also enabled them to acquire the necessary and indispensable expertise to establish an accurate diagnosis, provide an optimal therapeutic plan specific to your pet and your situation and realize surgical procedures that require specific expertise.
Each year, our surgeons at DMV train specialized and general interns and oversee the surgery residency program. They also actively participate in the continuing education of veterinarians in Quebec by regularly giving lectures.
For precious advice
Do not hesitate to consult DMV’s surgeons to ensure the best care for your pet. They can give you advice, diagnosis, information about a surgical procedure or explore different therapeutic alternatives.
Clinical Reference Information
• Rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament in dogs
• Medical treatment of osteoarthritis in dogs
• Hip dysplasia in dogs
• Elbow dysplasia in dogs
• Medial patella luxation in dogs
• Aseptic necrosis of the femoral head in dogs
• Osteochondrosis in young in dogs
• Radius-ulna fracture in dogs of small breeds
• Minimally invasive surgery in dogs and cats
• Preventive gastropexy by laparoscopy dogs
• Stomach torsion distention syndrome in dogs
• Brachycephalic syndrome in dogs
• Laryngeal paralysis in dogs
• Perineal hernia in dogs
• Salivary mucocele in dogs
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS)
- European College of Veterinary Surgeons (ECVS)
- American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation (ACVSMR)
Focus (in French only)
Specialists in Surgery at the DMV Veterinary Center